
Today in class we discussed DIGG and how different people like and dislike it for certain reasons. I had never been on the DIGG website before today and I actually really liked it. Sometimes I am too lazy to look for interesting articles to read online so from now on I will turn to DIGG. The top articles on DIGG all sounded like articles I typically read when I am on a news website or when reading the newspaper. I found this website that provided various reviews of DIGG and went through the websites pros and cons. Here is the website, it is called Webtrends. It says that one of the cons would be that if someone does not like a certain topic or author, they can simply "sink" that article. However, I think the majority of the people using the website are judging the article by what it says or what point it makes, not if they agree with the article or author. The pros state that DIGG is extremely easy to use and it has a large variety of articles so it should appeal to a large audience. The website it came from, Webtrends, also has a cool concept. It gives ratings on various new and old online sites. For example, I found reviews for Propeller, Newsvine, and it even has a list of the top Social News and Networking sites. Check it out!
I also searched "Facebook" on the Webtrends website and it gave the top reasons why everyone should be on Facebook. It says you should use Facebook because you can find old friends on it, it can be your online photobook, it has game, and it is good for your job and business. All of these things are true and I feel like these days more and more adults are getting Facebook for their jobs and some jobs are even requiring their employees to get Facebooks so they can connect with others within the business. I am curious if Facebook started to charge people how many members would stop using Facebook. I also wonder if companies would pay for their employees accounts, since some employees are required to have a Facebook.
I also found this website called ALLFACEBOOK.com. Their tag line is "The unofficial Facebook Resource." The website includes tons of posts about things that happen on Facebook, both good and bad. This article from the website talks about a teacher who got fired for "flirting" with his students online and "friended" many of his students on Facebook. The teacher also commented on students pictures saying totally unprofessional and inappropriate things like "this is sexy" on student's photos. I know that many of my high school teachers would not accept our "friend requests" until after we graduated in order to avoid any trouble. I do not think some students realize just how much trouble a teacher can get in for communicating with a student online about non school related issues. People should really think twice before accepting a friend request or even worse, posting comments for the whole world to see.
I like the idea of Digg, if you think about it, most people search through the newspaper and newscasts to find the information and news they want (like Style, Entertainment, Technology) so what's so bad about having a site with similar news stories? I might have to look at it in more depth some time too!
ReplyDeleteWow that ALLFACEBOOK thing seems really intrusive and a little creepy. I could understand why parents would want to go on and regulate their younger kids facebooks, but i also think that facebook is a teen's personal space and older teenagers who are more responsible should be trusted to know what is safe and what is not safe. I think it is innappropriate for teachers and students to be friends on facebook because it puts teachers in an uncomfortable situation if they see information on their students facebook taht could get them in trouble.
ReplyDeleteYea I think teachers should be extremely careful...so that way there is no chance they can get fired.
ReplyDelete