About Me

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tinkering with Apple Products


This week in class when discussing the Zittrain article we mentioned the Apple 2 produce that came out in 1977. We learned how many people would "tinker" with it in order to figure out how to "beat" Apples system or simply because they were bored. I was surprised to learn that this actually helped Apples sales, and did not hurt them. Today in 2009 Apple has made it nearly impossible to "tinker" with their products. Although I am not all that great with technology I do have an Iphone and a Mac and I feel like it would be very difficult to "tinker" with either of those products.
We also discussed how in the past the Iphone or intense Apple products were typically for "hobbyist" or those who were very into technology. Today, they are for everyone, even people that know nothing about technology at all. For example, my grandmother, she got the Iphone a few months after it first came out and LOVES it. She is constantly texting me and my brother or emailing her church friends. I like how Apple was able to create a product that was not just for tech savvy people. The Iphone is for everyone and if my grandmother could figure out how to use it I am pretty sure almost anyone could.
Lastly, I was telling the class about the application a friend of mine made, here is the link to the app. she created for the Iphone. It's pretty funny and creative.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Apple does not allow anyone to "tinker" with anthing that they have created. But, like you were saying, the Iphone is for people who are not just tech savvy, which is very commendable. But how great would it be if we could create our own applications based on the ones that the Application store is lacking for a small fee? That way, both the consumer and Apple will be happy. Do you think Apple would be open to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am commenting on Alexis's post. I also agree that it would be great to be able to create your own Iphone applications, fee free. I feel that Apple would be open to that if they posted certain, and most likely alot, of regulations on it. The issue of ownership would come up as well which always gets tricky..

    ReplyDelete